[Taxacom] "Taxon Filter" (was Re: Electronic publication)

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Thu Jan 12 14:26:20 CST 2017

This is why I support separating the "publication" process from the nomenclatural availability process.

For the example you gave, there would need to be some part of the registration system (e.g., diagnostic characters, photo of holotype, etc.) that enabled the determination that the second bug is the same taxon as the first bug.  This is where we start to delve into taxonomy.  At minimum, someone would need to examine the type specimen as designated in the registration record.  But I think it would be better if the registration record itself included sufficient information to determine whether a subsequent specimen belongs to the same species.

Rich