[Taxacom] Electronic publication

John Noyes j.noyes at nhm.ac.uk
Fri Jan 13 09:57:25 CST 2017

Hi Rich,

You wrote:

"OK, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here.  My read of the "date" requirement for electronic publications does not indicate that it must be a "complete date". My read of Art 21.3, "Date incompletely specified", is that it a "date" (in the sense of the code) is still a "date", even if it is "incompletely specified".  As such, an incompletely specified date fulfills the requirement for a "date" to be included within electronic works.  Similarly, "Date incorrect" of Art 21.4 implies that an incorrectly stated date is still a "date" in the sense of the Code, so even if the "date" included in an electronic work is both incomplete and incorrect, it fulfills the requirement of Art. 8.5.2 because, by my read at least, both "incomplete dates" and "incorrect dates" are still "dates" in the sense of the Code."

I think that the fact that there is disagreement about this is really important because it has relevance (currently at least) to the availability of nomenclatural acts. Judging by e-mails on this topic the split seems to be fairly even which means that taking this requirement the way we understand it about half of us would regard e-pubs with the year only as the date of publication as available whilst the rest would regard them as unavailable. This will surely have a bearing on stability and that is why I think it cannot be just left alone.

John

John Noyes
Scientific Associate
Department of Life Sciences
Natural History Museum
Cromwell Road
South Kensington
London SW7 5BD
UK
jsn at nhm.ac.uk
Tel.: +44 (0) 207 942 5594
Fax.: +44 (0) 207 942 5229

Universal Chalcidoidea Database (everything you wanted to know about chalcidoids and more):
www.nhm.ac.uk/chalcidoids