[Taxacom] "Taxon Filter" (was Re: Electronic publication)

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Fri Jan 13 11:21:11 CST 2017

On 1/13/17 2:13 AM, John Noyes wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> I totally agree. The danger in what Rich, Doug and others is advocating is that papers will be rejected by those that have an alternative view. Is the proposed system to deal with nomenclatural acts alone or is it intended to comment on the quality of  taxonomy? There  is a danger that it may put all the power in the hands of a few which would inevitably lead to a total breakdown of the system.
WHOA. You have this exactly backwards. When there are dozens to hundreds
of reviews, all made public, then it is no longer possible for a few
people to control *anything*. Any cliques, any personal grievances, will
be fully visible to the entire community. Think about it for just a
second, and consider that the status quo DOES focus editorial control
into the hands of a tiny number of people - who are absolutely protected
from accountability through anonymity. That's precisely why we
desperately need to move away from the present system of "peer review" -
it is FAR too subject to manipulation without accountability. If the
"alternative view" you're worried about is an ignorant minority view, or
a crackpot, the flaws in their viewpoint will be exposed and get the
rapid rejection and condemnation it deserves. I have confidence that we,
as a community, can recognize unjustified opinions when we see them, and
come to a rational consensus, rather than letting one or two people sway
a decision unfairly for or against a submitted work.

And yes, even though the purpose of the proposed system is to eliminate
uncertainty regarding the availability of names, it does need to at
least make a sincere attempt to assess the validity of names, as well.
There is NO REASON to accept the registration of a proposed name that is
a homonym; there is NO REASON to accept a name that is an obvious
synonym; there is NO REASON to accept a name that is being proposed
against the wishes of the person who discovered the taxon being named;
there is NO REASON to accept a name based on a tiny fraction of the
available material, or a terrible type specimen, when additional and/or
better material can easily be obtained. Those specific problems are
virtually unmanageable under the present, inferior protocol that we call
peer review (every single one of these issues keeps coming up in
present-day publications, even in prominent journals, and that's
unacceptable), and it is time we adopted a higher standard, to
everyone's collective benefit. Taxonomy is often viewed as a laughing
stock by other disciplines because we have no mandated standards for
quality control. So, let's do something about mandating quality control
- and it should start, logically, with not accepting names for things
that cannot be shown to be valid taxa, and putting the review process in
the hands of the community rather than two or three anonymous reviewers.

Sincerely,