[Taxacom] "Taxon Filter" (was Re: Electronic publication)

John Noyes j.noyes at nhm.ac.uk
Fri Jan 13 11:38:51 CST 2017

Hi,

In that case it cannot possibly work. The whole system would be far too subjective and will be putting far too much pressure on reviewers. It will also be open to abuse. I review a lot of papers and  could not possibly comment on the validity of any species/genera being described as new except in very few cases. I simply do not have that sort of time available. I am sure that would be the same for most reviewers. Also, you would have to define what you mean by a terrible type specimen. In all likelihood you could not possibly know if better material can easily be obtained or whether other possible type material was available. No let's nip this one in the bud before it gets any sort of credence. What you are advocating could lead to terrible instability because there is a danger that most taxonomists would just ignore it because it is unworkable.

There are many. Many other reasons that I can see as to why it should be a non-starter.

Let's try to get simple available/not available sorted out before we start going along that road.

John

John Noyes
Scientific Associate
Department of Life Sciences
Natural History Museum
Cromwell Road
South Kensington
London SW7 5BD
UK
jsn at nhm.ac.uk
Tel.: +44 (0) 207 942 5594
Fax.: +44 (0) 207 942 5229

Universal Chalcidoidea Database (everything you wanted to know about chalcidoids and more):
www.nhm.ac.uk/chalcidoids