[Taxacom] "Taxon Filter" (was Re: Electronic publication)

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Fri Jan 13 12:44:47 CST 2017

On 1/13/17 9:38 AM, John Noyes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In that case it cannot possibly work. The whole system would be far too subjective and will be putting far too much pressure on reviewers. It will also be open to abuse.

Anonymity is the only thing that permits abuse. Eliminate people's
ability to hide from scrutiny, and attempts at abuse will be nullified.
> I review a lot of papers and  could not possibly comment on the validity of any species/genera being described as new except in very few cases.

Then those "very few cases" are exactly where your opinion is
*necessary*, and needs to be ensured. How many new papers appear every
year on encyrtids? Unless you're not seeing them all already, then this
system would not increase the number of papers you have to review - and
if you're NOT seeing all the encyrtid papers, then the taxonomic
community is presently *losing the benefits* of your precise expertise,
and that's unacceptable. I cannot imagine why you are defending the
status quo if it means that experts are not getting to review all the
works that they are qualified to review!
> I simply do not have that sort of time available. I am sure that would be the same for most reviewers.

I think that you seriously overestimate this problem, for at least the
following reasons: (1) I am not talking about any absolute increase in
the number of works being submitted for review worldwide, so - as above
- if you are already seeing the majority of works for the taxa you are
an expert on, your workload won't increase by much, since you get to
choose which works to review and which ones to ignore. You get to do
what you are comfortable doing; no more, no less. (2) The workload under
this system is BEING SHARED with a greater number of people, so the
amount of necessary work per reviewer is going to shrink; right now, if
you get a paper to review, YOU personally have to fix every typo, YOU
have to fix every grammatical error, YOU have to check every reference,
and so forth - but with online review, only ONE referee has to fix any
given problem and then it's done - the editing is done in real time, and
tracked, and visible to all reviewers AND to the authors! There is no
redundancy of effort, so collaborative review is *vastly* superior to
having independent reviews.
>   Also, you would have to define what you mean by a terrible type specimen. In all likelihood you could not possibly know if better material can easily be obtained or whether other possible type material was available.

Because if you propose, say, a new encyrtid from Africa, then every
taxonomist working in a collection with holdings of African Encyrtidae
can go to their collection and see if they might have additional
material of your new taxon. Under the status quo, you have no such
ability to reach all those people, so you are pretty certain to be
missing out on available material. No taxonomist, not even you, can
routinely send loan solicitations to EVERY collection in the world - but
if people at every collection in the world are subscribed to the
registration venue (an explicit part of my proposal), then it DOES
become part of the routine, and you have the OPPORTUNITY for each and
every one of them to see your proposed new taxon, and *potentially* help
you by offering additional specimens during the review process, so you
can add new material before registration is finalized. True, that
potential might not always be realized, but how can this possibly be
construed as *worse* than the status quo??

The people who stand to experience the greatest "burden" under this
system are people like me who are collection managers as well as
potential referees - and I would LOVE to be getting our specimens into
the hands of more taxonomists, working on more taxa. That's to
everyone's *mutual benefit*. For people in our community working in
smaller collections, this would be an immense potential boon in terms of
exposure. In an era where we have to continually justify the maintenance
of museum collections to bean-counters and administrators, why on earth
would you so vocally and harshly oppose a proposal that would
significantly increase the visibility and interconnectivity of the
world's museums?? If you have a better idea, please do share it, but
please don't forget how bad the status quo actually is, and the very
real threats that our community faces, not the least of which is our
credibility.

Sincerely,