[Taxacom] Electronic publication

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Fri Jan 13 17:33:32 CST 2017

Thanks, John.

There is no doubt in my mind that this ambiguity needs to be rectified in the next edition of the Code.  Given that there is ambiguity, I believe the correct course of action is to interpret the Code in a way that maximizes nomenclatural stability.  I would suggest that given the highly pedantic nature of this specific requirement (Art. 8.5.2), coupled with the dubious value it offers to the Code and nomenclatural stability in general, nomenclatural stability is probably maximized by assuming that the names established within e-only works that include incompletely specified dates should be regarded as available until demonstrated otherwise.

Moreover, I think it's helpful to note that this specific question has been discussed within at least two ICZN meetings (Singapore and Berlin), and in both cases the consensus was that incompletely specified dates were regarded as being within compliance of Art. 8.5.2.  However, I do not believe there was any specific vote on the matter.  Moreover, if I'm not mistaken, most (all?) ICZN Commissioners who have commented on this thread interpret it this way as well (i.e., that an incompletely specified date fulfills the requirements of Art. 8.5.2, and is consistent with the glossary definition).

For all of these reasons, I would strongly advocate that names published in e-only works wherein the date was incompletely specified should be regarded as available unless and until the Commission issues a formal ruling otherwise.

Aloha,
Rich