[Taxacom] Electronic publication

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Fri Jan 13 17:37:07 CST 2017

In other words, if you see a problem in the Code, ignore it!

Stephen

 Subject: Re: [Taxacom] Electronic publication
 To: "'John Noyes'" <j.noyes at nhm.ac.uk>, "'Hinrich Kaiser'" <chalcopis at yahoo.com>, "'Scott Thomson'" <scott.thomson321 at gmail.com>
 Cc: taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu

 Thanks, John.

 There is no doubt in my mind
 that this ambiguity needs to be rectified in the next
 edition of the Code.  Given that there is ambiguity, I
 believe the correct course of action is to interpret the
 Code in a way that maximizes nomenclatural stability.  I
 would suggest that given the highly pedantic nature of this
 specific requirement (Art. 8.5.2), coupled with the dubious
 value it offers to the Code and nomenclatural stability in
 general, nomenclatural stability is probably maximized by
 assuming that the names established within e-only works that
 include incompletely specified dates should be regarded as
 available until demonstrated otherwise.

 Moreover, I think it's helpful to note that
 this specific question has been discussed within at least
 two ICZN meetings (Singapore and Berlin), and in both cases
 the consensus was that incompletely specified dates were
 regarded as being within compliance of Art. 8.5.2.
 However, I do not believe there was any specific vote on the
 matter.  Moreover, if I'm not mistaken, most (all?)
 ICZN Commissioners who have commented on this thread
 interpret it this way as well (i.e., that an incompletely
 specified date fulfills the requirements of Art. 8.5.2, and
 is consistent with the glossary definition).

 For all of these reasons, I
 would strongly advocate that names published in e-only works
 wherein the date was incompletely specified should be
 regarded as available unless and until the Commission issues
 a formal ruling otherwise.

 Aloha,
 Rich

 'Hinrich Kaiser'; 'Scott Thomson'
 > Cc: taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
 > Subject: RE: [Taxacom] Electronic
 publication

 > Hi
 Rich,

 wrote:

 > "OK,
 I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here.  My read
 of the "date"
 > requirement for
 electronic publications does not indicate that it must be
 > "complete date". My read of
 Art 21.3, "Date incompletely specified", is
 that
 > it a "date" (in the
 sense of the code) is still a "date", even if it
 is "incompletely

 specified".  As such, an incompletely specified date
 fulfills the requirement
 > for a
 "date" to be included within electronic works.
 Similarly, "Date
 > incorrect"
 of Art 21.4 implies that an incorrectly stated date is still
 a "date" in
 > the sense of the
 Code, so even if the "date" included in an
 electronic work is
 > both incomplete and
 incorrect, it fulfills the requirement of Art. 8.5.2
 > because, by my read at least, both
 "incomplete dates" and "incorrect
 dates"
 > are still "dates"
 in the sense of the Code."

 > I think that the fact that there is
 disagreement about this is really important
 > because it has relevance (currently at
 least) to the availability of

 nomenclatural acts. Judging by e-mails on this topic the
 split seems to be
 > fairly even which
 means that taking this requirement the way we understand
 > it about half of us would regard e-pubs
 with the year only as the date of

 publication as available whilst the rest would regard them
 as unavailable.
 > This will surely have a
 bearing on stability and that is why I think it cannot be
 > just left alone.
 >
 > John
 >
 > John Noyes
 > Scientific
 Associate
 > Department of Life
 Sciences
 > Natural History Museum
 > Cromwell Road
 > South
 Kensington
 > London SW7 5BD
 > UK
 > jsn at nhm.ac.uk
 > Tel.: +44 (0) 207 942 5594
 > Fax.: +44 (0) 207 942 5229
 >
 > Universal
 Chalcidoidea Database (everything you wanted to know
 about