[Taxacom] Electronic publication

Frank T. Krell Frank.Krell at dmns.org
Fri Jan 13 19:13:24 CST 2017

Wrong words.
Instead: If you are in doubt whether an act is available or not, consider it available,
because
a) authors publish nomenclatural acts with the intention to make them available, not unavailable
b) if a part of the community considers an act available, it will be used, cited, propagated anyway
As a default, consider an act available. Only consider it unavailable when it is clearly unavailable. (Clearly would mean: no date of publication)
What gain do we have if we consider published acts (with all associated science) to be unavailable if they could be considered available? Does anybody think that an author (or any journal for that matter) will re-publish a paper because the original did not contain month and day of publication? This will never happen.
If a type depository is mentioned, but not the location of the depository (as required by the Code), does it make sense and does it help nomenclatural stability to consider the name unavailable?
I plead for common sense.

Frank

Dr Frank T. Krell
Senior Curator of Entomology, Editor-in-Chief
Chair, ICZN ZooBank Committee
Department of Zoology
Denver Museum of Nature & Science
2001 Colorado Boulevard
Denver, CO 80205-5798 USA
Frank.Krell at dmns.org
Phone: (+1) (303) 370-8244
Fax: (+1) (303) 331-6492
lab page: http://www.dmns.org/krell-lab

The Denver Museum of Nature & Science salutes the citizens of metro Denver for helping fund arts, culture and science through their support of the Scientific and Cultural Facilities District (SCFD).