[Taxacom] describing species based on DNA sequences alone

Karla Shikev karlashikev at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 13:47:52 CST 2017

Thanks for the paper, Vladimir!

Priyantha & Stephen: Of course, if there is good diagnosis based on
phenotypic characters, I assume anyone would use them. But perhaps I should
clarify that I'm talking about a situation in which there is good genetic
evidence for separate good species (e.g. analyses of hundreds of genes),
but the species is either too conservative or too phenotypically variable
to the point that good diagnoses are not feasible.

In some groups, genetic information is commonly used in taxonomy (e.g.
cytogenetics in rodents), but for some reason people are seem less
resistant to diagnosis based on chromosomes than on nucleotide variation
itself.

Karla