[Taxacom] describing species based on DNA sequences alone

Elena Kupriyanova Elena.Kupriyanova at austmus.gov.au
Sun Jan 15 16:35:13 CST 2017

Hi Karla and everyone,

I think there is some confusing between describing species based on DNA sequences alone and diagnosing newly decsribed species using DNA sequences alone. Two examples of our own papers are given below. We dutifully describe new species, but accept that the only realistic way to tell them apart is to look at  particular fragments of DNA.

Halt, M. N. Kupriyanova, E. K., Cooper, S. J. B. & Rouse G.W. 2009. Naming species with no morphological indicators: species status of Galeolaria caespitosa (Annelida, Serpulidae) inferred from nuclear and mitochondrial gene sequences and morphology. Invertebrate Systematics 23: 205-222.

Sun, Y., Wong, E, Tovar-Hernandez, M., Williamson, J. & Kupriyanova, E.K. 2016. Is Hydroides brachyacantha (Serpulidae, Annelida) a widely-distributed species? Invertebrate Systematics 30, 41-59.

Hope it helps