[Taxacom] describing species based on DNA sequences alone

Scott Thomson scott.thomson321 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 20:28:49 CST 2017

Hi Elena, everyone,

I would be interested in reading the first of those papers you listed if I
could get a pdf please.

Personally I am against the naming of species without a morphological
analysis including a differential diagnosis, preferably one that actually
works. I will concede that the fact I work with fossils as well as living
taxa probably biases me somewhat as a morphological analysis is the only
thing that permits me to include the fossils in the phylogeny, and I do not
consider phylogenies particularly useful, or accurate, without the fossils.
I do not think it should be done and although I know of plenty of cases
where cryptic species were initially identified using molecular evidence
including some I later described, once the morphology was done including
detailed internal morphology that these so called cryptics were actually
not so cryptic.

Cheers, Scott

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 5:35 PM, Elena Kupriyanova <
Elena.Kupriyanova at austmus.gov.au> wrote:

> Hi Karla and everyone,
>

> I think there is some confusing between describing species based on DNA
> sequences alone and diagnosing newly decsribed species using DNA sequences
> alone. Two examples of our own papers are given below. We dutifully
> describe new species, but accept that the only realistic way to tell them
> apart is to look at  particular fragments of DNA.
>

> Halt, M. N. Kupriyanova, E. K., Cooper, S. J. B. & Rouse G.W. 2009. Naming
> species with no morphological indicators: species status of Galeolaria
> caespitosa (Annelida, Serpulidae) inferred from nuclear and mitochondrial
> gene sequences and morphology. Invertebrate Systematics 23: 205-222.
>

> Sun, Y., Wong, E, Tovar-Hernandez, M., Williamson, J. & Kupriyanova, E.K.
> 2016. Is Hydroides brachyacantha (Serpulidae, Annelida) a
> widely-distributed species? Invertebrate Systematics 30, 41-59.
>

> Hope it helps
>

> ________________________________

Scott Thomson
Museu de Zoologia da Universidade de São Paulo
Divisão de Vertebrados (Herpetologia)
Avenida Nazaré, 481, Ipiranga
04263-000, São Paulo, SP, Brasil
http://www.carettochelys.com