[Taxacom] describing species based on DNA sequences alone

Paul Kirk P.Kirk at kew.org
Mon Jan 16 01:45:49 CST 2017

The ICNafp does not allow living culures as types - the type, if it is a culture, has to be preserved in a metabolically inactive state, and although this fact does not have to be explicitly stated there is a proposal to make this a requirement which will be voted on in July prior to the IBC. Such types, once reactivated, are no longer the type but a derivative of the type which can, of course, be anaysed but which cannot be re-frozen as the 'type'.

Paul M Kirk