[Taxacom] describing species based on DNA sequences alone

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Mon Jan 16 11:59:06 CST 2017

Scott's point is well made. Just finding a trait or two that corresponds to a molecular difference does not corroborate anything. True corroboration requires the apposite morphological entity to stand on its own.

Molecular data can be really really certain that a molecular thing did not occur by chance alone, but what is the thing? Could it be a molecular race in some isolation, but insufficiently pressured into a new evolutionary role with accompanying morphological differences?

Molecular species concepts with algorithms that depend on the biological species concept to work are piffle.

What happened to evolution-based taxonomy? Should DNA tracking traits be treated as genetic differences? There is a cognitive dissonance operating here, I think, that equates DNA differences with genetic differences whereas the latter include only those differences that affect expressed traits.

-------
Richard H. Zander
Missouri Botanical Garden – 4344 Shaw Blvd. – St. Louis – Missouri – 63110 – USA
richard.zander at mobot.org