[Taxacom] Trump gets his first taxonomic name

Elena Kupriyanova Elena.Kupriyanova at austmus.gov.au
Wed Jan 18 15:56:52 CST 2017

Stephen et al.

I think the reason is fairly obvious, isn't it? I also downloaded the paper and went straight to the etymology section to find out why the species was named after Trump and what exactly that particular person has done to deserve the honour. As I suspected, the answer was - he has done sweet nothing to deserve it, but if we are extra nice to him, he may potentially do something worthwhile. The naming decision was a successful publicity stunt aimed at attracting our attention to this paper. I am glad it worked, it usually does. But now I will think twice before naming a species after a person I actually respect and who really deserves such a honour. Bit no worries, there are lots of corrupt politicians to suck up to naming new species after them.

Cheers,

Lena