[Taxacom] NZ biogeographer's exam Q3

Geoff Read gread at actrix.gen.nz
Sat Jan 28 22:02:23 CST 2017

If Cook Strait only last opened 15 000-16 000 years ago (I saw this as the
date used in another paper on marine mussels) it's not going to be very
significant as an ancient barrier for land biota.  I imagine it has come
and gone over time. Sure is a barrier since though.

On the article on estuarine Austrovenus stutchburyi - interesting but they
missed out sampling a very large population in Porirua Harbour bordering
Cook Strait (only sampled Wellington Harbour). They also threw in the
possibility of human-mediated translocation messing up the picture (these
are edible cockles), which is a new one to me. There's no supporting
citation for the idea.

Geoff