[Taxacom] NZ biogeographer's exam Q3

John Grehan calabar.john at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 10:05:14 CST 2017

Recent or not, the interesting point about Cook Strait is that it is not
the Strait (the sea) that is biogeographically significant, but Cook Strait
as a biogeographic boundary which includes the adjacent terrestrial
landscapes. As Geoff points out, the present Strait itself is not all that
old. It might be an ecological barrier in the present (in the sense that
any distributional limit is an ecological barrier by definition). The
reality of Cook Strait as a biogeographic boundary is illustrated below
(and note the reference to predating the Strait in its modern form). Note
that the role of Cook Strait is the same for understanding the range limits
of particular taxa either side of the Strait as it is for those that are
endemic to either side of the Strait. Also note further examples of the
ongoing pervasive tendency for molecular clock studies to misrepresent
minimal estimates as actual or maximal.

“At a local scale, there are many species breaks at Cook Strait, for
example, in the cicada genus *Maoricicada*. *M. campbelli *was discussed
earlier with reference to the Moonlight and Waihemo tectonic zones.  *M.
myersi* is endemic north of Cook Strait, while its sister species *M.
lindsayi* occurs south of the strait (Marshall et al., 2009).

Of the eight main cades in the cicada *Kikihia*, three are restricted to
north of the strait (*K. scutellaris, K. cauta*, and clade 4), and three (*K.
horologium*, clade 2, and clade 5) are only found south of the strait
Marshall et al., 2008). Clade 1 and clade 3 (the *K. subalpina* complex)
both occur in North and South Islands, but each includes a genetic break at
the strait.

Phylogenetic breaks at Cook Strait in skinks (Greaves et al., 2008) and in
galaxiid fishes (Waters et al., 2006) have been dated as Pliocene (minimum
age), and so these predate the strait in its modern form. In contrast,
Marshall et al. (2009) suggested that the Cook Strait breaks in *Kikihia*
subalpine clades date only to the mid- to late Pleistocene, around the time
that the strait appeared. Their study relied on a “standard” evolutionary
rate used for insects (2.3% divergence/Myr), but the calibration that this
is based on has been criticized (Heads, 2012a).
In an earlier study, Marshall et al. (2008) dated the first split in*
Kikihia* at 6.6 Ma, with most species originating in the Pleistocene. They
calibrated the phylogeny by assuming the endemic *K convicta* on Norfolk
Island was no older than t he island, and that *K. subalpina* in the North
Island was no older than the subalpine habitats there (these appeared with
uplift and volcanisms at 1.2 Ma). Both these dates are likely to be
underestimates of clade age (see Chapter 5).”