[Taxacom] dissections slides vs preservation

Tony Irwin tony.irwin at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 29 14:32:05 CST 2017

I would agree with everything that Doug says, but would caution against the
use of gel-caps, except for temporary storage. Recently we were
transferring some specimens with 20-year-old gel caps, and noticed that
they had become very fragile, with several shattering during the transfer.
As a relatively cheap alternative, plastic microcentrifuge tubes (Eppendorf
type, with caps attached by a plastic strap) can be used. A pin is pushed
through a small piece of plastic foam, and the tube snapped shut, with the
strap securely held around the foam on the pin. (It is also much easier to
access the contents!)
Tony

Dr A.G.Irwin
47 The Avenues