[Taxacom] Reinvention of Australasian Biogeography

John Grehan calabar.john at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 15:45:20 CST 2017

Ebach, M.C. 2017. Reinvention of Australasian Biogeography: reform, revolt
and Rebellion. CSIRO Publishing.

Some on the list might be interested to know this book is now out. It gives
an interesting and very well written (in my opinion) account of the history
of biogeography in Australia, not so much as a linear narrative as a series
of conceptual landscapes from the 1800’s to the present. I’m not always in
agreement with Malte over biogeographic methodology but this is a book
definitely well worth reading. Probably many on this list are familiar with
the history of evolutionary debates and controversies in the US and UK from
the various books published in those countries. Now, one gets the
opportunity to see how some of these issues played out Down Under. Plenty
to meat in the sandwich. Good eating. Only a mild antacid for me :)

Chapter titles:
1. Studying the distribution of life on earth
2. Biogeography comes to Australasia
3. Carving up Australasia: the quest for natural biogeographic regions
4. The spectre of cladism: cladistics in the land of Oz
5. A new biogeography: the panbiogeography revolt in New Zealand
6. Goodby Gondwana: the drowning of Zealandia and the rise of
neodispersalism
7. All possible futures