[Taxacom] Environmental journalist on the decline of taxonomy

José Manuel Padial jose.m.padial at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 16:04:23 CST 2017

Dear colleagues,

Anja Semanco is a graduate student at CU Boulder studying
environmental journalism and is writing a book on the decline of
taxonomy, its causes and consequences. In her words: "I'm working on a
story about the declining field of taxonomy and the holes this decline
will leave in our scientific records as well as our natural history. I
am interested in museum collections and those that manage and curate
those collections and more specifically, the value these managers and
curators assign to natural history. I believe there is a trend right
now to defend environmental goods from an economic standpoint rather
than from an intrinsically valuable standpoint, and this creates
problems for scientific fields that don't necessarily exist to make
money or sell a product (like a drug, or a piece of technology). Any
stories, anecdotes, or further information on these topics would be
greatly appreciated."

If you are interested in sharing your experiences and point of views
with Anja contact her at:

ansemanco at gmail.com
+1 724-967-2777

Best wishes,