[Taxacom] Norden H. (Dan) Cheatham

John Bruner jbruner at ualberta.ca
Tue Jan 31 11:41:14 CST 2017

I did a google scholar search and found this book review by him in 2007 in
the journal *Fremontia *Maybe the editor of Fremontia can help you?

 Email: cnps at cnps.org

FREMONTIA

VOL. 35, NO. 3, SUMMER 2007

Copyright © 2007 California Native Plant Society

Bart O’Brien, Editor
Bob Hass, Copy Editor
Beth Hansen-Winter, Designer Kathryn Blassey, Editorial Assistant Brad
Jenkins and Jake Sigg,

Proofreaders

CALIFORNIA NATIVE PLANT SOCIETY

Dedicated to the Preservation of the California Native Flora

(CNPS) is a statewide nonprofit organi-

zation dedicated to increasing the un- derstanding and appreciation of
Califor- nia’s native plants, and to preserving them and their natural
habitats for fu- ture generations.

CNPS carries out its mission through science, conservation advocacy, educa-
tion, and horticulture at the local, state, and federal levels. It monitors
rare and endangered plants and habitats; acts to save endangered areas
through public- ity, persuasion, and on occasion, legal action; provides
expert testimony to government bodies; supports the estab- lishment of
native plant preserves; spon- sors workdays to remove invasive plants; and
offers a range of educational activi- ties including speaker programs,
field trips, native plant sales, horticultural workshops, and demonstration
gardens.

Since its founding in 1965, the tradi- tional strength of CNPS has been its
dedicated volunteers. CNPS activities are organized at the local chapter
level where members’ varied interests influ- ence what is done. Volunteers
from the 33 CNPS chapters annually contribute in excess of 87,000 hours
(equivalent to 42 full-time employees).

CNPS membership is open to all. Members receive the quarterly journal,
Fremontia,
the quarterly statewide Bul- letin, and newsletters from their local CNPS
chapter.

CALIFORNIA NATIVE PLANT SOCIETY

CNPS, 2707 K Street, Suite 1; Sacramento, CA 95816-5113 Phone: (916)
447-CNPS (2677) Fax: (916) 447-2727 Web site: www.cnps.org Email:
cnps at cnps.org

Northwest California: A Natural His- tory. John O. Sawyer. University of
California Press. 2006. 264 Pages, 73 illustrations. $75.00 hardcover.

That the ecology of the northwest
[image: page26image29880] [image: page26image30200]

24 FREMONTIA

VOLUME 35:3, SUMMER 2007

corner of the state of California is in- ordinately complex is widely known
to CNPS members.

You have to be a long-time resi- dent in order to even begin to piece

her mentor and after his death she was named curator of the herbarium at
San Jose State. She was also a major volunteer in the project to publish
the first edition of The Jepson Manual and was its newsletter edi- tor in
1987 and 1988. On her retire- ment she moved to Pacific Grove, where she
was active at Point Lobos as a docent (even after a total knee replacement)
and worked to curate the herbarium there.

She was plucky and forward- thinking beneath a native New En- gland
reserve. She saw what she needed to do, researched it, went about it
quietly, and never spoke about herself. She was a violinist who loved
orchestral and chamber music. Her long-time friend and fel- low botanist
Sally Casey taught mu- sic for years, but Natalie never men- tioned to her
music-teacher friend that she herself was a musician. That’s the kind of
person Natalie was. She was a woman who had a gracious ability to implement
talent and conviction within an under- stated exterior.

An endowed scholarship is be- ing established in her honor for rare plant
research by women. Further information is available from her
daughter-in-law, Julie Anne Hopkins, 585 High Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060,
or from the author.

Suzanne Schettler, P.O. Box 277, Ben Lomond, CA 95005. greening at cruzio.com

this complexity together. Author John Sawyer fits the bill. His insights
are further sharpened by being the “go-to- guy” among the Humboldt State
Uni- versity natural sciences faculty. Now

those insights are captured in book form by the University of California
Press. I doubt if there is anyone else who could have written this book
with such vision.

Noting that natural history books are always overflowing with facts, Saw-
yer points out that “. . . the real natural history of northwest California
is in the field, bring this book along on a visit, and get to know the
region first- hand.”

In your own outdoor ramblings, how many times have you asked your- self,
“Why does this area look the way it does?” And, how many years of re-
visits has it taken you to satisfactorily answer that question? In Sawyer’s
case it has been forty years or more, and you are the beneficiary. The book
runs the gamut from natural history to hu- man history and interactions
between the two.

It starts with a landscape point-of- view, laying the groundwork for the
ecological point-of-view. He describes the regions and the sub-regions from
a geologic and topographic perspective, setting the scene for the climatic
and soil parent-material perspective, which, of course, sets the scene for
the vegeta- tion, which in turn sets the scene for the animal communities.

His chapter called “Agents of Change” provides historical insights into
natural as well as human impacts at various locations. These insights help
you answer the above question of why an area looks the way it does by
recounting the sequence of histori- cal events.

Starting on page 116 is an articu- late discussion of the process of stand
dynamics. If you have already partici- pated in basic ecology classes, you
will find this an interesting and easy-to- follow alternative discussion on
the concept of plant succession. You will find his perspective interesting
and probably, from time to time, nod your head up and down in agreement.

The combination of photographs and the chapter “Looking for Patterns in
Vegetation” do a good job of de- scribing the ecological variety of the
region. Starting at the broadest level, we learn of the forests with closed
canopies growing on well-developed soils and having high colonizing abili-
ties and wide ecological tolerances. By

contrast there are localized areas with specialized environmental
conditions that are so much a part of the region’s diversity.

Drawing on parallel descriptions of the Sierra Nevada, Sawyer takes us
through elevation belts from low el- evation to subalpine and through west-
ern to eastern portions of the Klamath and Siskiyou mountains including
places like the Trinity Alps, Marble Mountains, and the watersheds of the
major rivers such as the Smith, Kla- math, and Trinity rivers.

Although in varying degrees of condition, he says that, “A great bio-
logical treasure trove still exists in northwest California, even after
nearly two centuries of mining, logging, graz- ing, changes in fire
regimes, and dam building. Many aspects are not greatly different from
those at the time of [early explorer] Jedehiah Smith. Nearly all of the
plant and animal species remain, as do the original patterns. Those that
have been degraded can be restored. We can save not only fragments of
natural tapestries but make them com- plete again.”

For those who want further detail on specific points, there is an exten-
sive list of selected further reading.

*Norden H. (Dan) Cheatham East Bay Chapter *

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 9:16 AM, Vincent, Michael <vincenma at miamioh.edu>
wrote:

> Does anyone out there know how I can get in contact with Norden H.
> (Dan) Cheatham,
> who used to live in California?
>
> Thanks.
> M.A. Vincent
>
> --
> Dr. Michael A. Vincent, Curator
> Willard Sherman Turrell Herbarium (MU)
> Department of Biology
> Miami University - MSC 1052
> 100 Bishop Circle, Rm. 79 Upham Hall
> Oxford, Ohio 45056-1879 USA
> Tel: 513-529-2755; FAX: 513-529-6900
> Email: vincenma at miamioh.edu
> http://herbarium.muohio.edu/herbariummu/
> http://taxacom.markmail.org

        John
* Mr. John C. Bruner                                  *
* Department of Biological Sciences                   *
* University of Alberta                               *
* T6G 2E9  CANADA     /_ @  > />...w...w...w.....==== *
* FAX: (780) 492-9234           \>      \>      \==== *
* VIRTUAL FAX: (780) 492-2216                         *
* EMAIL: jbruner at ualberta.ca
<https://webmail.ualberta.ca/imp/message.php?mailbox=sent-mail&index=1363#>
                        *
* HOME PAGE:http://www.ualberta.ca/~jbruner/          *