[Taxacom] Taxonomy Anarchy

Scott Thomson scott.thomson321 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 10:47:26 CDT 2017

Several of us who were co-authors on my paper in BZN on Case 3601 have
briefly discussed this. We have issues with the concept of Conservation
attempting to control taxonomy as this leads to circularity. Taxonomy is a
science and must have the freedom to perform its function without the
constraints of other sciences or fields. A point the code also
acknowledges. Their aim is to constrain taxonomy to a single species
concept. This would vastly debilitate the development of potential
breakthroughs in the future of taxonomy. Conservationists are end users of
taxonomy and nomenclature, a point that taxonomists should recognise with
some consideration, but taxonomy must have the academic freedom to explore
and present its science without political influence.

So yes I reject the views of that paper. I also think that they are
confused on what taxonomy is. When they say that taxonomists would welcome
a constraint on how taxonomy is done, I get the impression they are
referring to nomenclature there, not taxonomy.

Cheers, Scott

--
Scott Thomson
Museu de Zoologia da Universidade de São Paulo

Chelonian Research Institute
402 South Central Avenue,
Oviedo, 32765, Florida, USA

http://www.carettochelys.com