[Taxacom] Taxonomy Anarchy

David Campbell pleuronaia at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 07:14:46 CDT 2017

It is possible to list an undescribed species as endangered in the U.S.
Subspecies of vertebrates can be endangered, but other taxa are recognized
at the species level.  If species A is listed and then is divided into two
species, the status of the new taxon is ambiguous.  This is a legal and
political problem, not taxonomic, though it affects us.

--
Dr. David Campbell
Assistant Professor, Geology