[Taxacom] Taxonomy Anarchy

Marcos Lhano portuga at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 10:39:26 CDT 2017

Dear colleagues

I totally agree with Francisco comments. I was thinking exactly the same
before read this email, for example, a valid name don´t delete the
synonyms. And for classification, we are constantly looking for the
natural one, but all proposed classifications are theories and, in this
way, a new classification don´t delete the previous one.
I also agree with Dijkstra comments, specially: "/...it is true that
most conservationists have no appreciation of taxonomy and (worse still)
that most taxonomists have little understanding of conservation/". And,
the point of view of these authors fits clearly here.
So, I also would be happy to sign any response.

Cheers, Lhano

--
Prof. Dr. Marcos G. Lhano
Center of Agricultural, Environmental and Biological Sciences - CCAAB

On 02/06/2017 10:44, Francisco Welter-Schultes wrote:
> The logic behind the arguments that are raised in the article reaches
> deep inside the scientific community and deverses a published correction.
> I consider a response as necessary and would also sign it.
>
> I am not perfectly in aggreement with all recent comments here. There
> is freedom of press, also in science, and I have no objections to
> Nature publishing such articles. As long as we can respond, that is
> fine for me.
> One of the jobs of the press is to point out things that are discussed
> controversally in the community. For us the arguments may sound silly,
> for others obviously not.
>
> An important feature of natural sciences is that there is no eternal
> truth. The authors of the article have ignored that.
> Taxonomic classifications are the result of scientific research and as
> such, they will always remain proposals, and there can be no official
> classifications.
>
> A discussion in the sense that unified standards of how to define
> species are desired, and should be accepted by the community, is fine
> for me, but must no be extended to a form as suggested in this article.
>
> ICZN is mentioned in the Nature paper, as one of the branches of IUBS
> that should govern taxonomic issues. ICZN governs nomenclature, not
> taxonomy. The decision concerning the definition of the species
> concept to be applied is not part of the tasks of the ICZN.
>
> One more detail from the point of view of zoological nomenclature: An
> outdated name is not an invalid name.
> You can continue using it, for example in a legal document that
> remains in force, and that name will remain valid. A valid
> classification is not necessarily up to date, and is not necessarily
> commonly accepted.
>
> From my perspective I see no reason why any species should fall
> outside legal protection just because a new scientific publication
> proposes to use a different name and classification for it.
>
> So as long as the law is in force, and not updated, this one sheep
> species in Kazakhstan should remain protected in the sense of the name
> as it was understood at the time when the law was established. This
> keeps standing for all nine or however many subpopulations that were
> meant at that time, regardless of which names and classifications will
> be used for them later, and also regardless of whether or not those
> classifications are commonly accepted.
> I would not agree with the authors that 25 Chinese species would
> automatically fall outside legal protection for such reasons. If the
> law contains provisions like "The species is protected as long as it
> is listed in a continuously updated catalog", then we need to teach
> politicians to avoid such statements, and to replace them by saying
> "protected in the sense of the accepted classification at the date of
> ratification".
>
> Cheers
> Francisco

> [...]

Laboratório de Ecologia e Taxonomia de Insetos (LETI)
Centro de Ciências Agrárias, Ambientais e Biológicas - CCAAB
Universidade Federal do Recôncavo da Bahia - UFRB
Caixa Postal 177, CEP 44380-970
Cruz das Almas - Bahia
Representante Regional (América Latina), The Orthopterists' Society
Editor Adjunto, revista Magistra
Email: marcos at ufrb.edu.br / entomology at gmail.com
http://www.ufrb.edu.br/leti

---
Este email foi escaneado pelo Avast antivírus.