[Taxacom] Taxonomy Anarchy

Fred Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Fri Jun 2 12:54:50 CDT 2017

On 6/2/2017 1:05 PM, John Grehan wrote:

> I would endorse Scott's observation about the desirability of responding in
> ways that are relevant to the concerns of the conservationists.
> ...there should be an expression of encouragement for at least
> attempting to address what seems to be generally recognized as something
> that needs to be addressed.

* one direct answer to the Nature paper is that all definitions of
biodiversity extend down to the intraspecific and population levels, and
it's only through systematics, as partially expressed in taxonomic
classifications, that this diversity is understood and communicated. And
at quite a basic level, having different taxonomic arrangements is at
least a stimulus to managers to think about the relationships of
populations, instead of assuming each named entity has some kind of
Platonic essence.

fred.
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
            Fragile Inheritance Natural History
for our annual letter, click '2016' at http://pinicola.ca/aboutus.htm
4 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
    on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44.87156°N 75.70095°W