[Taxacom] Taxonomy Anarchy

KD Dijkstra kd.dijkstra at naturalis.nl
Sat Jun 3 13:11:20 CDT 2017

Hi all,

Many opinions have been voiced now and everyone has offered to undersign a
response, but it still seems rather nebulous what supposed consensus we're
signing up for.

In my view any response should not so much voice the more theoretical
issues that we love to dwell on in this forum (e.g. "those using a name
should just indicate the associated authority and the problem is solved"),
but on aiding the practical choices those attempting to get species
red-listed and protected must make. In other words, be the voice of
"taxonomists concerned with conservation". That voice can come from a
taxonomist's active involvement in CITES or the IUCN Red List (e.g. my and
Scott's reactions), those already experienced with managing taxonomic data
(e.g. Rich, Donat, ICZN), and people at organizations like IUCN or in
environmental consultancy that understand the complexity of the
taxonomy-conservation interface.

For me the central question is how we can give conservation what it needs
(regardless of focus, species knowledge will always remain crucial in
decisions and awareness) while benefiting us as taxonomists. As the authors
of the comment imply, and as I seconded in my earlier response, taxonomy
and conservation (at least the data side of it; IUCN, CITES etc.) are
joined at the hip but seem to operate too independently. The recent comment
may go too far in its proposals for "taxonomic governance" but there's
clearly room for coordination, i.e. taxonomy and conservation progressing
as a team effort on biodiversity data, while together seeking financial
commitment for that service in return.

Indeed, taxonomists shouldn't forget that conservation (rather than, most
notably, biological science) is probably their greatest ally today, not so
much as it attempts to preserve the life that fascinates us, but because
contributing to the record of what once lived, still lives, and may be
lost, might be our best chance to keep our embattled field afloat.

Finally, John's point on educating conservationists about taxonomy is of
course an important one but I wonder how much ground can actually be gained
on this practically, especially as this is part of the much greater issue
of a lack of species sense in society (see my comment
<http://www.nature.com/polopoly_fs/1.19870!/menu/main/topColumns/topLeftColumn/pdf/533172a.pdf>
on
that, published in the same spot just a year earlier), although it is
particularly ironic that those who aim to protect species know so little
about what they are...

Cheers, KD

*Klaas-Douwe 'KD' B. Dijkstra*
Naturalis Biodiversity Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Conservation Ecology and Entomology, Stellenbosch University, South Africa
African Dragonflies and Damselflies Online <http://addo.adu.org.za/>
personal page <http://science.naturalis.nl/dijkstra>

Sir David's Dragonfly (on BBC television)
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMDnPUXTcdc&feature=youtu.be>
Restore our sense of species (in Nature)
<http://www.nature.com/polopoly_fs/1.19870!/menu/main/topColumns/topLeftColumn/pdf/533172a.pdf>
Sixty new dragonfly species from Africa
<http://www.forbes.com/sites/grrlscientist/2016/01/28/sixty-new-species-of-dragonflies-discovered-in-africa/#1b4241c54963>
Handbook of African Dragonflies
<http://freshwaterblog.net/2015/06/01/discovering-the-dragonflies-and-damselflies-of-eastern-africa/>
Freshwater Biodiversity and Aquatic Insect Diversification
<http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/eprint/9UfgQAmBYDwDivSeFBxJ/full/10.1146/annurev-ento-011613-161958>
Consensus classification of dragonflies
<http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2013/f/zt03703p045.pdf>
Most complete damselfly phylogeny to date
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/syen.12035/pdf>