[Taxacom] Minimum dates

John Grehan calabar.john at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 09:29:59 CDT 2017

In referring to dates extrapolated from fossils I am referring to the use
of fossils as calibrations for molecular divergence. So the molecular dates
that are then applied to the divergences are proxies for the absence of
fossils and therefore cannot represent actual or maximal dates. Sure,
perhaps some methods result in excessive antiquity (presumably for lineages
within the clade that was calibrated), but they are still minimal estimates
- i.e. they are not themselves falsifiers of any other evidence of earlier
origins.

John Grehan