[Taxacom] Taxonomy Anarchy - Draft Manuscript

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Sat Jun 10 05:37:36 CDT 2017

Dear Colleagues,

Please accept my apologies for the cross-posting.

Many of you contributed to discussions this past week in response to the article published in Nature on "Taxonomy Anarchy" (https://www.nature.com/news/taxonomy-anarchy-hampers-conservation-1.22064). Many are also among the 80 people from at least 26 countries who have consented to serve as authors on an article that has been drafted in response.  Although some have suggested that no response is warranted, there appears to be near-universal agreement in the assessment of both the wisdom and the practicality of implementing the proposal included in the Nature article.

The reason for this email is to let you know that the draft response is now close to final form, and we expect to submit it for publication next week.  If anyone who has not already seen the draft would like to review it, and especially if anyone not already listed in the document as an author would like to serve as an author, please let me know.

Aloha,
Rich

Richard L. Pyle, PhD
Database Coordinator | Associate Zoologist | Dive Safety Officer

Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum
1525 Bernice Street, Honolulu, HI 96817-2704
Office: (808) 848-4115
Fax: (808) 847-8252
eMail: deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
BishopMuseum.org

Our Mission: Bishop Museum inspires our community and visitors through the exploration and celebration of the extraordinary history, culture, and environment of Hawaiʻi and the Pacific.