[Taxacom] new Fauna Europaea website

Martin Wiemers martin.wiemers at univie.ac.at
Fri Jun 16 08:48:04 CDT 2017

Dear all,

as a contributor and user (I am one of the group coordinators for
butterflies and am also waiting for an update to be implemented) I share
your disappointment with the current state of Fauna Europaea. However, I
do have contact to the organizers and am convinced that they are doing
their best to improve the situation. The main problem is the current
lack of funding for Fauna Europaea which is the reason for the slow
progress. We need to appreciate that the Berlin Museum has agreed to
take over the responsibility for the website, because otherwise it would
have disappeared completely. The old website has a nice functionality,
but technologically it is completely outdated, and it had to be shut
down this week due to severe security issues. I was told that it is
planned to implement a similar functionality for the new website. I
should have some more news regarding the timeline for the upgrade after
talking to Christoph Häuser who is currently in Vietnam.

Best wishes,

Martin

--
Dr. Martin Wiemers