[Taxacom] Off topic - Efloraofindia- Constructive use of data from Google groups etc.

J.M. Garg jmgarg1 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 02:59:44 CDT 2017

Dear members,
     Decade long journey of Efloraofindia
<https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/home?pli=1> is one of the
examples in constructive use of data from Google groups etc.
     We started our journey on 18.6.07. As the members grew along with the
posts and experts, it dawned upon us as to why not use this data for
constructive purposes so that it is more useful to all the members &
others. So we started compiling it in the 2nd year itself in an nhxcel
sheet in an alphabetical order & sending it to all the members & keeping it
in file section of the group, for public access.
     Than one of our members, Dinesh Valke, created Efloraofindia
<https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/home?pli=1> on free Google
sites in Nov.'10 & asked us to use it for adding posting guidelines etc.
There was no looking back since than as we found more & more uses of this
site for our constructive activities. Slowly we transferred the old data
from Excel sheet to this site on species pages by creating family, genera &
species pages. It took almost two years to complete this work along with
updating with the new posts.
     As the database on the site grew, everybody felt that images should
also be displayed as in other sites, instead of clicking on links in efi
site to see them. Free memory of Google sites were limited to 100 MB, so we
did not know how to proceed. One fine day on 23.9.15, it dawned upon us
that images can be inserted from Urls of group threads without consuming
any data. Than began the big exercise of adding images to the species
pages. Further it also dawned on us that these can be easily copied &
pasted in genus & family pages like any other text for comparative
purposes. It was a great tool, even much better than the keys, for members
unfamiliar of the botanical terms. Now we already have around 50,000 unique
images on the site. It is likely to grow to around 1,00, 000 as the whole
exercise is completed by say 31.3.18.
   Result has been for all to see, as Efloraofindia
<https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/home?pli=1> is now the best
resource on net on Flora of India, with around 12,000 species and around
2,50,000 without even a penny being spent. It is equally useful both to the
layman as well as the experts around the world.
   I am telling this to all as it is relevant to all groups, including
those on fauna. We have travelled on an uncharted territory & others need
not have to do so. Any body requiring any suggestions/ guidance in this
matter are always free to contact us.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

world- around 2800 members & 2,65,000 messages on 31.3.17) or Efloraofindia

The whole world uses my Image Resource

India'.