[Taxacom] new Fauna Europaea website

Marco Uliana marco.uliana.1 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 03:08:47 CDT 2017

Dear Martin, thank for your update.
For sure, a couple of lines with a similar explanation added to the new
site would allow users to understand what's going on.
They also have pages on socials, but nothing is said (e.g:
https://www.facebook.com/faunaeu/)

Anyway, some of the problems I raised are already part of the page
structure, for example the bad functionality of the tree and splitting
of results of a search in several pages.
The last issue makes me go crazy. We have a software/site which is meant to
handle/produce lists. We have electronic (i.e.: endless) pages. And we
treat them as if they were pages of a book, i.e. with a fixed number of
lines. Why? I have to go to page 38 of Otiorhynchus to find O. taitii.

This is like taking back my car, giving me a bike... and maybe pretending
now it's better.

Note that none of the search tools is going to give a correct answer for
any query that is species-level name.
Try to search "viridis".
The "normal" search tool will give you no match at all (!).
The advanced search tool, will produce tree pages of results, regardless
you tick or not "Include synonyms". The incredible part is that none of the
results you get, according to my random exploration, has "viridis" as its
name or as one of its sinonyms.
Also, searching any combination of "Genus species" will not work if a
subgenus is present. So, "Carabus violaceus" will give no results, as I
should write "Carabus (Megodontus) violaceus"
This is a bit too much for an average user. Answers of queries are not
reliable at all.

I sincerely appreciate that Berlin Museum choosed to save Fauna Europaea,
but at the moment we've lost it. I hope in resurrection but I suspect it's
not going to be quick.
In the meanwhile, if they just put online the full database as csv
spreadsheets to download, it would be much better... office softwares (and
similar) have simple and powerful tools to search/filter lists of records
and the whole thing would do the service it was meant to.

As you are in touch with organizers, I would be grateful if you can keep us
updated.

Thanks, Marco Uliana