[Taxacom] new Fauna Europaea website

Martin Wiemers martin.wiemers at univie.ac.at
Sat Jun 17 08:44:26 CDT 2017

Dear Marco & all other users of Fauna Europaea,

thank you for your concern about Fauna Europaea, which shows that there
seems to be an interest to keep the site alive and working.

I have just received an official statement from Christoph Häuser which I
would like to post here for your information. And I hope to have further
news, at least regarding the requested update for the butterflies, in
about 1-2 weeks.

Best wishes,

Martin

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Fauna Europaea community and users,

due to significant security issues and a warning received from the
German Federal Office for Information Security, the old Fauna Europaea
site (faunaeur.org) urgently had to be closed and is unfortunately no
longer available. All requests to this site are automatically redirected
to the new portal, also directly available under fauna-eu.org
<https://fauna-eu.org/t/1234567890>.

The new Fauna Europaea portal first launched in late 2016 provides
access to all taxonomic and geographic distribution information
currently contained in the Fauna Europaea database by directly searching
for individual taxa. Through a search request, also the full taxonomic
tree is available for further navigation.

However, a number of functionalities (e.g. to obtain a list of species
for any taxon above the genus level, to offer export/download
functionalities for species lists/distributions) as well as some
statistics available at the old site are not yet implemented at the new
site, which is still under development. These functionalities will be
implemented in the near future, as well as further improvements on
display and functions. Also, pending updates on the taxonomic and
geographic content in the database will be tackled, but may still take
some time due to limited personnel and resources available.

Many thanks for your understanding and we apologize for all
inconveniences. In case of urgent need of specific information currently
not accessible from the site, please, do contact us.

With kind regards,

the Fauna Europaea team at MfN