[Taxacom] Entomological collections India

John Grehan calabar.john at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 14:02:22 CDT 2017

Dear colleagues,

I have a moth specimen from India that is to be described as a new species.
I am very interested to ensure that the type specimen is sent to an
institution within India and I would greatly appreciate any advice or
information about a suitable repository - any well established and
supported entomological collection. The specimen is from the Western Ghats
and I did try linking to the Bombay Natural History Society in Mumbai, but
the link was not working.

In addition, I am concerned about ensuring that the specimen actually gets
to the institution that is finalized. I am worried about sending anything
in the mail as India has some rather restrictive rules about bugs once they
are dead and I worry that the specimen would be lost along the way. If by
any chance there is someone on TAXACOM who is in the US who may either be
visiting India in the future or have a colleague doing so who might hand
carry the specimen I would be very grateful to know. There is no urgency
about this as yet as I have not even figured out where the specimen should
go, and I have yet to finalize imaging of the dissected material.

Thanks,

John Grehan