[Taxacom] Species Definition?

Hannu Saarenmaa hannu at bioshare.com
Tue May 23 11:18:10 CDT 2017

As an informatics person, I am amused to see this thread.   And
facinated too.  Why is this still a question?

"Facts are facts, but perception is reality".  Does that that old phrase
still rule in taxonomy?

"a species is what a community of taxonomists says it is".
"Community" is ambigous. So, is "species".  Binomial is an attempt to
antropomorphicically classify biodiversity.  Not bad, given that the
idea was coined 250 years ago.  But the game has moved on.

So can we please just have numbers, or something for IDs of published
and not yet named, suggested taxonomic concepts, so that we can speak of
them?

In real world there are no species. Imagine that.

Hannu
http:/www.digitarium.fi/en