[Taxacom] Species Definition?

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Tue May 23 13:31:08 CDT 2017

> So can we please just have numbers, or something for IDs of published and not
> yet named, suggested taxonomic concepts, so that we can speak of them?

Wouldn't that be nice!

> In real world there are no species. Imagine that.

No imagining necessary.  That's the world I live in.  But it is still helpful to label groups of things in nature in a way that facilitates communication -- whether it be islands (or is it an islet?), mountains (or is it a hill?), or species (or is it a subspecies?)

Aloha,
Rich