[Taxacom] The Species Definition Dilemma

R J Ferry rferry at miosjournal.org
Tue May 23 14:38:54 CDT 2017

Subject:   Re: The Species Definition Dilemma

Date:Tues-23May-1714:38 hours

From:rferry at miosjournal.org

To:Taxacom <mailto:tjremhof at southtexascollege.edu>@mailman.nhm.ku.edu

As attempts continue to be made toward some degree of understandable
order to the life forms on earth, I suggest re-reading pages three to
five of Fowlie, J.A. 1970. The Genus Lycaste. Azul Quinta Press. Amid
all the sometimes heated exchanges among thinking individuals, much
might be gained from Fowlie’s 40-plus year old review of the concepts
that continue to need to be addressed, even in this age where computers
seem to be much more widely trusted than Newton’s archaic method of
“thinking about it”. I will admit that it is much more fashionable to
extol a consensus (consensus = “most of us say so, so that’s it”) rather
than go against what might be less easily funded with this or that
political regime, and the “magic” of a computerized “easy” solution has
a certain degree of beauty, but in this world where we seem eager to
spend billions in a rationalization for life forms when we know very
little about what’s within our own oceans, I tend to question the
rationality of our logic when even the taxonomic governance of this
planet’s economic resources are so questionably defined. Before you
judge me both abruptly and harshly, please read what Fowlie said 40-plus
years ago and ask yourselves whether we’ve really /thought/ about the
problems of taxonomy, or whether, for the most part, we’ve just /talked/
about them, unencumbered by much serious personal /thinking/.

…my two cents worth after more than a dozen inputs on the “species
definition” thread. Now I’ll go back to my studies in the Orchidaceae.

Regards, Bob Ferry