[Taxacom] Species Definition?

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Tue May 23 16:08:21 CDT 2017

I think that the problem here is one of "too many decimal places." What I mean is that species are a real world and therefore not perfectly precise (with exact boundaries) phenomenon, as indeed are most things. They are still however extremely important! There seems to be an odd mindset among some scientists that if something isn't perfectly precise, then it is scientifically useless! We could all start adding decimal places to all the numbers that we use just to make them more precise, but most of the time it would be a waste of time. Pi to 3 million decimal places (or whatever) doesn't have a lot of practical uses! The task of taxonomy is to describe the world in terms of (somewhat fuzzy) boundaries between species, it is not to try to eliminate the fuzziness!

Stephen