[Taxacom] Taxacom Digest, Vol 133, Issue 7

John Grehan calabar.john at gmail.com
Tue May 23 23:49:21 CDT 2017

Very interesting about the Pinus silvestris subsection. Cuba has a
geological origin in the Pacific so a Eurasian connection that way would
not be surprising. The Canary Islands connection is also interesting as I
had not come across that in my literature search on Canary Island Pinus.
Will be interested in the source literature.

Yes, with the molecular clock age of 40 million years that is the minimum
date and so anything older is a certainty. Cuba lies in the middle of one
of the major biogeographic centers of the world (the Caribbean Gate) and so
such broad global connections with deep evolutionary origins are to be
expected.

John Grehan