[Taxacom] PhD position at the Botanical Garden of Geneva, Switzerland

Laurent.Gautier at ville-ge.ch Laurent.Gautier at ville-ge.ch
Wed May 24 10:12:38 CDT 2017

Systematics, species delimitation and conservation in a Madagascar endemic
genus of Sapotaceae

We are seeking a highly motivated candidate for a PhD project at the Plant
Systematics and Biodiversity Laboratory, Conservatoire & Jardin botaniques
de Genève and University of Geneva, Switzerland. The project is supported
by the Swiss National Science Foundation and includes species
delimitation, phylogenomic diversity and species distribution modelling
and their application to the conservation of Capurodendron, a Malagasy
endemic genus of ca. 30 valuable tree species in the family Sapotaceae.

The ideal candidates should be a botanist who enjoys working in the
laboratory (targeted gene capture) with field experience in the Tropics
(with understanding of conservation issues; possibly one trip scheduled to
Madagascar), and should have good basic knowledge of taxonomy,
phylogenetics, population genetics and bioinformatics. We are particularly
interested in students who already have experience with Next Generation
Sequencing techniques. Good writing skills in English are a must and
familiarity with French is a plus.

Applications (motivation letter, CV, email address of 2/3 reference
persons) should be sent before June 15th, 2017 to: Yamama Naciri (
yamama.naciri at ville-ge.ch / yamama.naciri at unige.ch).

Project starting October 2017.