[Taxacom] fascinating reading

John Grehan calabar.john at gmail.com
Mon May 29 12:15:33 CDT 2017

These web entries got me to thinking (when I think at all) on reflections I
have had over the years about the ironies of sciences as an explicit effort
to overturn accepted views and the way human nature includes the opposite.
In my own efforts I support some views that are oppositional to established
or dominant paradigms, but this does not mean that the other views are de
facto automatically shortsighted, obstinate, or obtuse. I can be just as
wedded to established views as anyone else, and just because a radical for
some notions does not mean radical to all. That's why I do not label any
individuals negatively simply for being in opposition to my views. I'm even
cautious about how to view those who publish call for bans on the
publication of science, as happened with panbiogeography. At least they are
being honest.

Who is to say that the role of science is not only discovery, but also
suppression? One might argue that without suppression there is no edge in
science upon which to sharpen one's wits. However good that may be, there
is also an individual cost. It seems that science presents a rather
discordant situation for the psychology of each individual - on the one
hand to discover, on the other hand not to discover too much (the latter
bringing on the potential for social and economic approbation).  Mitchell
was awarded by a court-martial. For his prescient understanding of the
tank, De Gaulle left out of promotions. Churchill was considered feeble
minded for recognizing Hitler for who he was. With this kind of dynamic, it
is amazing that science works as well as it does - assuming it does work.
In systematics and evolutionary theory it's always fascinated me as to how
these pressures have affected, and continue to affect, the path of
discourse.

John Grehan