[Taxacom] fascinating reading

Zack Murrell murrellze at appstate.edu
Mon May 29 15:49:24 CDT 2017

John,

Jacques Derrida was a philosopher who is credited with founding
deconstructionism.  His argument is that the power structure supports
the current paradigm and suppresses any alternative views.  We see many
places in science (positions, tenure, acceptance of manuscripts, grants)
where the power structure can abuse the minority views.  Seems we should
all be mindful of this trap.

Zack Murrell

On 5/29/2017 1:15 PM, John Grehan wrote:
> [...]
> have had over the years about the ironies of sciences as an explicit effort
> to overturn accepted views and the way human nature includes the opposite.
> In my own efforts I support some views that are oppositional to established
> or dominant paradigms, but this does not mean that the other views are de
> facto automatically shortsighted, obstinate, or obtuse. I can be just as
> wedded to established views as anyone else, and just because a radical for
> some notions does not mean radical to all. That's why I do not label any
> individuals negatively simply for being in opposition to my views. I'm even
> cautious about how to view those who publish call for bans on the
> publication of science, as happened with panbiogeography. At least they are
> being honest.
>
> Who is to say that the role of science is not only discovery, but also
> suppression? One might argue that without suppression there is no edge in
> science upon which to sharpen one's wits. However good that may be, there
> is also an individual cost. It seems that science presents a rather
> discordant situation for the psychology of each individual - on the one
> hand to discover, on the other hand not to discover too much (the latter
> bringing on the potential for social and economic approbation).  Mitchell
> was awarded by a court-martial. For his prescient understanding of the
> tank, De Gaulle left out of promotions. Churchill was considered feeble
> minded for recognizing Hitler for who he was. With this kind of dynamic, it
> is amazing that science works as well as it does - assuming it does work.
> In systematics and evolutionary theory it's always fascinated me as to how
> these pressures have affected, and continue to affect, the path of
> discourse.
>
> John Grehan
>
> On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 10:37 PM, John Grehan <calabar.john at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The second one about science denial is also applicable from within science
>> as much as without. The tenor of the article seems to focus on external
>> panbiogeography is creationist thinking serving as a solid example. But
>> again, these books seem to recycle long established insights about
>> knowledge, new knowledge, and how humans respond. War technology has very
>> often provided many classic examples of this (perhaps more so because
>> consequences can be catastrophic). For example, it was once believed bombs
>> dropped from planes could not sink warships. William Mitchell did just
>> that, but the lesson still had to be re-learned in WWII, even by some
>> prominent supporters of air power. Denial is certainly something that Homo
>> sapiens has lots of - perhaps we should be called Homo deniali :)
>>
>> John Grehan
>>

>> On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 6:08 PM, Kirkbride, Joseph H. <KirkbrideJ at si.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> What are our genes really telling us? The answer is far from clear

>>> really-telling-us-the-answer-is-far-from-clear/2017/05/24/
>>> 408ddbb8-0dac-11e7-ab07-07d9f521f6b5_story.html?utm_term=.a94b110470e1
>>>
>>> Why science denial isn’t necessarily ideological
>>>
>>> https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-science-denial-
>>> isnt-necessarily-ideological/2017/05/25/c8cc8346-3f14-11e7-

--
Zack Murrell
Professor and Curator of the Herbarium

office phone 828-262-2674