[Taxacom] "A Few Bad Scientists Are Threatening to Topple Taxonomy": more political nonsense

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Wed Sep 13 16:15:49 CDT 2017

Do I detect a note of sarcasm in Bevan's use of positive spin language, i.e. "applaud", "entertaining"? Just to reiterate my view, I think that Hoser acts deplorably in many ways. The question is whether anyone has the right to stop him (assuming he is within the law), and what REALLY annoys me is the nonsense that gets written to try to invalidate his new taxon names (which is a quite different issue to Hoser's "political" rants), nonsense that all too often deliberately misrepresents the scientific and nomenclatural facts. Incidentally, what I though Bevan might be about to say is that the article "A Few Bad Scientists Are Threatening to Topple Taxonomy", is scoped explicitly to cover all taxonomy, but all actual discussion is only about zoology. Bevan: are there any known "taxonomic vandals" in botany and/or mycology?

Stephen