[Taxacom] "Felder & Rogenhofer 1874"

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Fri Sep 22 11:44:45 CDT 2017

Hi. Can anyone give a definitive statement regarding the work linked here:

http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/1221095#page/9/mode/1up

Here is the situation: this particular work, as linked here from the
Smithsonian's copy, LOOKS like a single work, and the second page says
"Juli 1875". However, if you look at the plates at the end, they all
have a date at the bottom that says 1868. There are some names that
appear differently in the text and plates, so potentially made available
on different dates if they were *not* simultaneously issued. This
potentially affects the validity of at least one genus name presently in
use, so I would like to be certain I have the details correct.

Neave, in the Nomenclator Zoologicus, cites names in the plates as being
from 1868, and names in the text as being from 1874.

References to this work in the NHM Catalog at

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/our-science/data/butmoth/

cite the names appearing in the plates as being from 1874 and the text
as being from 1875 (despite both being linked to the BHL copy which has
them in a single work).

I have not yet been able to locate any source that explains (1) what
*evidence* there is that the plates and text were published separately,
nor (2) how and why one of the dates is usually given as 1874, nor (3)
why the dates of the presumed separate parts are given inconsistently by
different sources. It also strikes me as odd that the work seems
*uniformly* cited as "Felder & Rogenhofer" when the text rather clearly
lists TWO Felders, Cajetan and Rudolf (shouldn't it then be Felder,
Felder & Rogenhofer?).

This is very confusing, to say the least, and I would be grateful if
anyone can point to something that would help iron this out.

Peace,