[Taxacom] Now 2 species/genera in Placozoa...

Tony Rees tonyrees49 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 17:35:54 CDT 2018

Hi Stephen,

>From my (limited) comprehension of the molecular data, the 2 presently
described species are just representatives of 2 very distinct molecular
groupings, see diagram at
http://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article/figure?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.2005359.g003

On a purely hypothetical basis, I do not see why a newly described species
could not be placed in its own genus or any other desired higher taxon
(even kingdom), if that is used as a proxy for its claimed morphological or
genetic distinctiveness.

Regards - Tony

Tony Rees, New South Wales, Australia
https://about.me/TonyRees