[Taxacom] Questions about availability of a species name

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Wed Aug 22 17:19:55 CDT 2018

Hi Jose,
"The original paper did not state the holotype depository. Thus, the species name is unavailable under the current ICZN. Right?"
Right, IF the original paper really did not state the holotype depository. Can you send me the PDF, so that I can check (a statement of depository can be somewhat less than obvious).
As Doug has stated, if you are correct, then the name is TECHNICALLY still unavailable, though it is such a minor technicality (affecting many names) that it probably isn't worth highlighting (and so it is arguably best to act as if the holotype depository was stated in the original description).
Please note that a subsequently validated name takes not only the date but also the authorship of the validating paper, not the "original" paper!
Cheers,
Stephen