[Taxacom] [Parahym] Parasitoid wasps collected at altitudes of 4, 500 m or above

jwhitfie at life.illinois.edu jwhitfie at life.illinois.edu
Wed Feb 21 13:53:30 CST 2018

Hi Jose,

Our group described Venanus kusikuyllurae from quinoa fields in Peru as
high as 3800+ meters (Whitfield et al. 2011 Annals of the ESA) - probably
they occur higher up as well but maybe not in managed crops.  Most of the
species in this genus are in mountains, albeit usually not about 4500m!!
They are morphologically rather unusual for microgastrines, as you know.

Generally, the higher elevation braconids from other groups I've seen have
a tendency to have relatively long and narrow wings, slender body and
appendage form, and (as you mention) exaggerated mouthparts. Also dark
body coloration. Not sure what all of that means, if anything.

Mason and the CNC crew had an expedition to valleys in the Himalayas many
years ago - it's possible they hit some high elevation sites as well. The
publication by Mani seems like it should have some clues as well.

Jim