[Taxacom] Two postdoctoral fellowships available immediately in Plant Phylogenomics

Joeri Strijk alsophila1 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 5 06:19:06 CST 2018

Two postdoctoral fellowships available immediately in Plant Phylogenomics.

Two Postdoctoral Fellowships are available immediately at the Plant Ecophysiology and Evolution Group of Guangxi University (Nanning, China). We are seeking highly motivated and productive postdoctoral fellows to engage in 2-year projects in the following field:

- Plant Phylogenomics (2 fully funded fellowships available)

Plant Ecophysiology and Evolution Group at Guangxi University (Nanning, China) http://www.plant-ecophysiology-evolution.com/
http://www.plant-ecophysiology-evolution.com/person/joeri-sergej-strijk/

1 Plant Phylogenomics
Two fellowships are available in the Biodiversity Genomics Team, led by Associate Prof Joeri S. Strijk. We focus our research efforts on understanding the origin, rise and persistence of tropical plant biodiversity by combining the latest NextGen sequencing techniques and advances in genomics with molecular systematics, taxonomy, ecology and historical biogeographical reconstruction. Our study area covers the greater tropical Australasian zone and extends to include the flora of the Madagascar and Indian Ocean Island Biodiversity Hotspot. Members of the team address a wide range of research topics, ranging from understanding the effects of palaeogeographic changes in landmass configuration on patterns of plant genome evolution and divergence, studying community assembly and in-situ plant diversification patterns on oceanic islands, to using genomic data to clarify the links between gene divergence, diversification and distribution, and employing the latest NGS techniques to resolve longstanding botanical and evolutionary questions typical for amorphic, speciose and widespread tropical tree families.

-REQUIREMENTS:
Prospective candidates, (younger than 34 years at the contract starting date), should have a PhD with a strong background in plant genomics and/or systematics, bioinformatics, molecular dating and/or biogeographical reconstruction, and should have a proven track record of successful publication in peer-reviewed journals. Additional experience in botanical collecting and fieldwork, taxonomy and herbarium experience are considered a major advantage when applying. The candidate will join a dynamic and international team that uses the latest advances in genomics to push the boundaries of our knowledge on plant biodiversity and plant divergence. Within the team's programs, a number of topics are available for discussion following a successful application.

***Fellowship details***
Opportunities for the development of individual research projects as well as collaborative work exist within the Plant Ecophysiology and Evolution Group.
The postdoctoral tenure will be two years and renewable for one more year upon evaluation. The fellowship covers an annual salary, a furnished apartment on campus and medical insurance. A small research fund (30,000 Yuan RMB) is provided by the university and the host supervisor will cover the rest of the initial research expenses. Prospective candidates are required to take part in external funding applications to support the joint research work. In addition, the selected candidate will be eligible to apply for a National Postdoctoral Scholarship through Guangxi University.

***General information Guangxi University***
The Plant Ecophysiology and Evolution Group is part of the College of Forestry, under the State Key Laboratory of Conservation and Utilization of Subtropical Agro-bioresources, and the newly proposed Guangxi Key Laboratory of Forest Ecology and Conservation, which houses a wide range of laboratories and research teams. We are centrally located on the large green Nanning City campus, with easy access to on-campus housing and day-to-day facilities for life on campus. Visit our website for a picture impression: http://www.plant-ecophysiology-evolution.com/contact-us/

Postdoctoral Fellows will be part of a growing and multidisciplinary team of Chinese and foreign researchers, providing a creative and stimulating research environment. Group members (students and faculty) represent over fifteen different nationalities, spanning a wide range of research backgrounds and experiences. Knowledge of Chinese for application is not mandatory, but opportunities exist to attend weekly courses in Mandarin if desired. The working language in our research group is English.

Guangxi University (>25,000 students) in Nanning is part of China's National 211 University Scheme (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_211), and is rapidly becoming a major research hub in Southern China. The city forms the natural gateway to South-East Asia, with Vietnam only 300kms away and direct international connecting flights available to most major cities in Asia from the new Nanning International Airport, many by cheap carriers as well as national airlines.

To apply for a position, please email a statement of research interests and goals, a curriculum vitae, and the email addresses of three references to:
Assoc Prof Joeri S. Strijk (jsstrijk at gxu.edu.cn)

Review of applications will begin immediately, and will continue until the positions have been filled.