[Taxacom] New genus name in title

Peter Uetz peter at uetz.us
Thu Jan 25 15:16:29 CST 2018

After having looked at 10,000 descriptions of reptiles (literally!) I find it rather annoying that a lot of authors no not mention the name of the new species (or genus), neither in the title nor the abstract of their papers. How do we know what they are talking about if they don’t say it?

Journal editors and reviewers should be a bit stricter with this kind of stuff and make it mandatory that new names are actually mentioned in the title or at least the abstract.

http://www.mapress.com/j/zt/article/viewFile/zootaxa.4375.2.5/13578

> Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 14:37:01 -0500
> From: John Grehan <calabar.john at gmail.com>
> To: taxacom <taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>
> Subject: [Taxacom] New genus name in title
>
> This is a bit of an ignorant question, but did not find an answer in the
> code of zoological nomenclature (not to say that it is not there, just that
> I have not seen it). I would be interested to know what the code says about
> a new genus being mentioned in the title of a paper before it is actually
> described and diagnosed within the paper. Is it permissible by the code?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> John Grehan

Peter Uetz
Center for the Study of Biological Complexity
Virginia Commonwealth University
Richmond, VA 23284
USA

Reptile Database (http://www.reptile-database.org)