[Taxacom] New genus name in title

Peter Uetz peter at uetz.us
Thu Jan 25 15:43:10 CST 2018

PS: I did some homework and checked the situation for reptiles:

Out of the ~6500 publications describing the 10,000 or so reptile species, less than 10% have species names in their title
(either the current name or the original name, if the two are different).
I don’t have access to databased abstracts but suspect that no more than 20% of abstracts have the new name.

For the ~1200 reptile genera it’s similar with ~140 (~12%) original descriptions have the name in the title,
even though most of them were published in older papers that didn’t have abstracts.

Peter Uetz
Center for the Study of Biological Complexity
Virginia Commonwealth University
Richmond, VA 23284
USA

Reptile Database (http://www.reptile-database.org)