[Taxacom] zoological nomenclature species question

John Grehan calabar.john at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 11:14:24 CDT 2018

Dear colleagues,

I would be grateful for opinions on a situation concerning the correct
spelling of a species name under the current rules. This concerns a Russian
name for which the Latin spelling is Yuliya. So if this were a species name
it would be Yuliyae. This has been widely applied to species names (usually
in combination with a family name) in the taxonomic literature, including
by some prominent and experienced taxonomists.

However, I have received one counter point that the Latin name equivialent
is Julia and so the correct species name spelling would be Juliae because
the rule states "A species-group name formed from a personal name that is
Latin, or from a modern personal name that is or has been latinized." and
so Yuliyae would represent a misspelling that would be subject to future
emendation.

What I do not see explicit in the rule is that the whole name has to be in
its Latin equivalent - that Yuliya has to be as Julia. The name Юлия - in
Russian language, translates directly to Latin English will be Yuliya (and
that is what happens with Google translated. To me this would be consistent
with names that do not necessarily have a whole name Latin counterpart.

If there are any Russian language members of TAXACOM who could weigh in I
would be most grateful. I do intent do use Yuliya since it has several
precedents and is the preference of the collector.

Many thanks,

John Grehan