[Taxacom] Death of Fred Grassle

Tony Rees tonyrees49 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 16:00:30 CDT 2018

Dear Taxacomers,

Not primarily a taxonomist perhaps, but a champion of the measurement of
deep-sea biodiversity and of both the Census of Marine Life - which has led
to many taxonomic discoveries - and OBIS, the first global-scale
integration of observations on the distribution of marine species, I am
sorry to report that Dr Fred Grassle of Rutgers University has died aged
78, more details here:
https://marine.rutgers.edu/main/announcements/mourning-the-passing-of-our-leader-mentor-and-friend-fred-grassle
. Fred was personally very helpful to me in facilitating my participation
in the OBIS programme over a prolonged period (2000-2010) and I always
appreciated my visits to Rutgers and elsewhere to attend OBIS meetings
where I met with many interesting colleagues from all over the world, most
of whom I am still in touch with today. Fred was a giant in the field of
oceanography and marine biology and hiss legacy remains in the form of the
Rutgers Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences (now the Department of
Marine and Coastal Sciences), the continuing OBIS project (now part of
IOC), and elsewhere.

Tony Rees, New South Wales, Australia
https://about.me/TonyRees